Saturday, November 24, 2007

So Thankful

Last weekend I was in Weaverville getting a slideshow ready for my Grandmother's funeral. My brother, John and I spent many hours on Saturday scanning and emailing photos and talking. It was a lot of work, and it was taking so long with us being so far apart. I woke up Sunday morning and realized I had to be with my family in Oakland. It's hard to be far away when my whole family is trying to cope with losing my Grandma, and I felt so useless. My family was taking my mom out to celebrate her birthday that evening, and Wes and I spent Sunday morning packing and making phone calls and getting things lined up so we could get down in time to surprise Mom for her birthday and spend the week in Oakland. Let me just say that Wes' parents are amazing- they totally understood us wanting to be with my family and said they would hold down the fort- since Wes and I both work for them. They even sent us off with candy and condolence cards for my family and my grandpa.


We spent the week helping get my parent's house ready for a big Thanksgiving, finishing our slideshow, and even had a chance to visit my godparents- which I haven't done in so long. My godfather has Multiple Sclerosis (sp)- and he and his wife our home bound. We never have a chance to get out and see them, and this week was the perfect opportunity. It was a very special visit, and the kids seemed to be a little less wild than usual, so I was proud of them for behaving.


On Wednesday, we said good-bye to my Grandma. Wes joined my brothers and cousins as a Pall Bearer, and my cousin, Mindy, and I were able to wipe away the tears and stand up to do the readings during the mass. My dad and three of his brothers stood up and honored my grandmother with beautiful Eulogies. After her burial, we gathered and had a big Franco reception- with tons of warm conversation and so many wonderful memories. The slideshow turned out beautiful, and my Grandpa, who is broken hearted after so suddenly losing his "bella" of 70 years, even had some smiles and laughs while watching it.


So, on Thanksgiving Day, my dad said a prayer for Grandma, and we were all thankful that she is in heaven. I also thought about how thankful I am for my daughter- who, at 4 years old, is trying so hard to understand where her Great Grandma is and why we left her at the cemetary. Kylee's sweet nature has given her an abundance of compassion- and the funeral was very hard on her and left her with so many questions. But, she pushed through it, because she loved Great Grandma so much and wanted to be there with us. She was my rock- constanltly wiping my tears and softly rubbing my arm through the day. She saved all of her questions for when we got home, and we could not have asked for a more well behaved child. Owen did very well too, he was loud from time to time, but nothing too disturbing. So, I am thankful for my kids being good listeners in very important situations.


I am extremely thankful for my husband, who decided that he wanted to do everything in his power to make thanksgiving stress-free for my mom. And he did- he was cleaning, and changing light bulbs, and fixing things, and doing food prep, and clean up- all with a smile on his face, cause he was happy to see my parents enjoiying themselves as they visited and relaxed with family. My mom even said "I don't know how I got so lucky to have a son-in-law like you." I am thankful every second of my life for my wonderful husband.


I am thankful for my parents, and how they raised me. For my brothers and their wives, and how they all have such love for my kids. I am thankful for my extended family, which is huge and full of amazing people who can come together and build each other up when times get tough. For my godparents, and their strength. I am so thankful for all that I have been given. Life is beautiful, and after a week like the one I just had, I won't forget to be grateful for all the little blessings I have been given.

Surprising Grandma Sue at her Birthday Dinner


Beloved Ellie's beautiful great grandchildren


Turkey dinner at the Franco's

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Anne,
That was beautiful and I couldn't be more thankful for everything I have. This was a tough time for our family and to see everyone pull together to get through this makes it easier to cope with. The holiday season is always a tough time for me and to have people like you and your family in my life to help get through the bumps and bruises of life makes the journey worth while. Thank you so much for being the best sister I can ask for, and also giving me the most awesome niece and nephew I could ask for. I love you all with all my heart.

Anne Marie said...

Hey Sunny-
That was too sweet. You know how lucky I feel that Pete and you fell in love- not only for you guys- but for me, cause I got a great friend and sister out of the deal! Kylee and Owen love you, and I know on their lists of what they are thankful for- their Auntie Sunita is WAY up there! We love you so much, and look forward to seeing you over Christmas!