Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Finding the spirit of the season

I'm sorry I haven't updated my blog in awhile. I had a talk with my sister in law, Amy, the other day about finding a hard time getting into the spirit of Christmas this year... about fearing what it will feel like that first Christmas Eve in my life without having my dad's parents there. I was even having a hard time getting into my own normal Christmas routine in my house. Things that always seemed like a priority for me- picking the tree, sending the cards, hanging the lights, all got pushed to the back burner- and I lacked desire to really get into it. Not to mention, it has been a very busy time- last week all my waking hours were spent making a slideshow to honor the life of my Grandpa. I had just done one for my Grandma's funeral, but this one took much more time because we had many more pictures from all sides of the family, and I made a special section honoring them both together. The shock of it all is beginning to wear off, and though I still cry often, I do feel a great amount of peace knowing the two lovebirds are now together in heaven. All the notes, and cards have been of great comfort, too- thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

So, I am beginning to get my head back on straight again, having kids over for playdates, planning to go to parties instead of skipping them, and even finally finished putting up the Christmas lights. I'm excited to go to Kylee's Christmas party next week- and seeing her eyes light up when she tells me "SANTA IS GOING TO BE THERE!" makes the Christmas feelings of joy rush into my heart. I am especially excited to sing carols at the Convalescent Hospital with the preschool, because I can only imagine how much joy that would've brought my Grandma, who had stayed in a similar hospital in Napa this fall. The spirit of the season is creeping in, and between the holiday excitement from my children and the chance of snow this weekend... I'm sure to be back to my jolly old self soon enough.

Here's a few photos showing some things we worked into the many travels up and down I-5 over the past few weeks.

My dad running the Sacramento International Marathon the day after his dad died
My mom and Kylee at the finish line of mom's 28th marathon
Four of my grandparent's five sons
Five of my grandparent's ten great-grandchildren
Having fun with their cousins
A stop outside Sacramento for a birthday party at Extreme Gymnastics.
Owen loves the zip-line!
Kylee leaps into the foam pit
Owen wants to be just like his big sister!
Some of the party goers take a break from the fun
Kylee invites her friend Taylor over after school. This is their fashion show, because Taylor says they are "all about fashion!"
Here's my finished product on the outside
Here we are with our tree!



1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit, but I think it's understandable considering what your family has been through recently. I think if you try to see it through Kylee and Owen's eyes it will help though. Kids are in such awe of everything Christmas! Also, I can't believe you were here for the CIM and you didn't see us! I guess we're going to have to haul our brood up to see you guys!