Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Leaving Home

Ok- so maybe she's not REALLY leaving the nest, but Kylee heading off to preschool sure left mommy with an empty feeling! Yesterday morning was Kylee's First Day of School, and she was very excited. I was proud of her, she woke up at the crack of dawn, got dressed by herself, sat still while I did her hair, she ate all of her breakfast without being told to finish, cleared her plate, brushed her teeth, and then sat by the door with her backpack on about 2 1/2 hours before it was time to go. So, as we waited for Owen to wake up, I thought about what a big girl she has become. She was heading out into the world for the first time, and I was a bit teary eyed at the thought that she wasn't my baby anymore. She told me it would be ok, and it was. We all did REALLY well when we dropped her off. Owen LOVED the school- he got right in there with the big boys and started to play with trucks. Kylee was a bit more reserved, she took in the scene, and was shy because she only knew one other girl. But they began to play and Kylee gave Owen and I hugs and kisses and we were on our way. Owen and I had a lot of fun together, he asked for Kylee a couple of times, but mostly enjoyed having the trampoline and all the toys to himself for a few hours! Kylee's school day ends at noon, and she was pretty wiped out by then! Aside from a few moments where she said she felt left out, she loved her teachers and was excited to go back again today. Owen and I miss our mornings with Kylee, but we are getting used to spending a little more one-on-one time together. And we know it is good for Kylee to be out there meeting friends and learning about the real world. All in all "leaving home" might just be a good thing for all of us!




5 comments:

Sunny said...

Hey W.A.M.K.O,
I am so happy to hear about Kylee's big day at school. It looks like she had a good time and will adjust to school life easily. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories about school. It's so exciting watching these 2 grow up. I can't believe how time flies. Pretty soon Owen will be on his way to pre-school and what will Mommy do then? Speaking of Mommy, how's your new and improved sight?? I hope your recovery is short and seemless. Well I should get going. I love you all and can't wait for the next update.

Sunita

Andrea said...

Glad you joined the blogging world! Almost brought a tear to my eye with this post. Drew starts preschool in a few weeks and while I know I'm going to enjoy the break, I know I'm going to miss him too.

Mom said...

Hi, Anne Marie--That left me teary-eyed, too! First days of school are always hard-even if the school is not a preschool, but college--love, Mom

Anne Marie said...

The time I have while Kylee is at school has been nice, and my favorite part is that I get very excited just before it's time to go get her. I absolutely love how excited she is to see Owen and me, and hearing her describe her day is just too cute. Sunita, you're right, she is definately adjusting well to being a student! I'm glad the first day jitters are over, and Andrea, I'll be thinking about you and Drew when his first day approaches. Mom- the thought of the kids going off to college had run through my mind as well, and that is so hard to even imagine! I'm gonna be a wreck!

Meredith said...

Hi Scribners! Your family is so cute...and I can't believe Kylee is already a preschooler. Our Brendan is only 13 months but the thought of him going to school is terrifying! :)