Thursday, August 23, 2007

Seeing Clearly Now

This has been my super-cool look for the past 3 weeks, as I have been solely wearing my glasses. Many people who have known me for many years keep saying "I didn't know you wear glasses!" Well, I have been completely dependent on glasses for my VERY nearsighted eyes for twenty years, but switched to mainly wearing contacts 16 years ago. I finally decided, enough is enough- I bit the bullet and had a LASIK consultation. After my 3 week stint without contacts, to let my eyes resume their natural shape, I went under the laser yesterday. Life changing doesn't even begin to describe the whole experience. I was a bit reluctant the morning of the procedure, but my mother in law gladly came over to watch the kids and reminded me that it's so common, and everything would be fine. My mom called just as we were getting into Redding and gave me some more encouragement, as she had had it done 9 years ago. My office in Redding, http://www.imperiavison.com/, beyond amazing, they treated me WONDERFULLY! After a little valium, and constant reassurance that everything was going smoothly- I found myself laying under the lasers thinking "This is painless- why in the heck did I wait so long to do this!" I was awake the whole time (the whole 5 minutes per eye), I stood up and looked over my shoulder at Wes who was watching everything through the glass windows outside the operating room. I was immediately overcome with emotion because I could see his face- I could see him smile at me all the way across the room. Fellow nearsighted people know this lost feeling of having someone you know smile or wave at you- and not be able to respond back because you really have no clue of who they are. I remember being seven years old and refusing to wear my very uncool classes, and I'd walk to my nieghborhood park and just keep my eyes down because I didn't want anybody to recognize me. I always would worry people would think I was so rude because I never said hello. So, it was INCREDIBLE to look at my husband, my eyes independant of any prescription aide, and see him smile when just ten minutes earlier I blindly handed him my glasses for the last time.



My recovery is going well- this first week I have to keep on my stylin' safety shields (I call them my "Owen Shields"), have to apply prescription, steroid, and replenish eye drops, refrain from wearing any makeup or touching my eyes, and tape shields on when I sleep. I literally feel no pain or discomfort today, I just get blurriness every now any then as the top flap on my cornea adjusts and heals.



This is me now- with no prescription- seeing the whole world a lot brighter and clearer!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

So glad you can see clearly now! It must be such a difference. I hope your recovery continues to go well and you can ditch the Owen shields soon. Say hi to your cute little family for me!