Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It was a Fair Day


This weekend was the Trinity County Fair, which, for some 4-Hers, is THE WEEKEND of the year in this community. Because I didn't grow up here, or around 4-H, I was extremely fascinated with all that goes on at this event. Let me start by saying that Wes didn't go to the fair, partly because he already had plans to go on a ride, and partly because he feels a little bit scarred by his childhood fair memories. Ok- that's a bit extreme, but let's just say he really doesn't enjoy all that the fair has to offer. So, while the grown-up males on the Scribner side of the family got on their street bikes and headed out to the coast- the females on the Scribner side gathered up the kids and headed to Hayfork. Grandma Linda graciously offered to drive, and with my sister-in-law, Bridget, me, my nephew, Shawn, my niece, Brynn, Kylee, and Owen- we had quite the crew! We went first thing in the morning on Saturday, because we wanted to beat the heat. When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was that there weren't a whole lot of people milling around yet, and those who were, were hanging out, riding around on bikes and quads, kind of like they had settled there. I realized that these kids had been here all week, at this point, the fair is just going on around their campsites. Fascinating. We went in to see the animals, which was really cool. We know two of the girls who were showing their lambs, and they were awesome to let the kids come in their pens and meet these nibbly-friends. It really was neat to see all of these proud children and young adults sitting with the animals they had raised all year to be in the best possible shape come fair day. I always used to think about how sad it is that the children work so hard, and get so close to their companions, and then have to give them up at the end (sometimes for a hefty check, I must say!), and now I realize that there is a lot more to it. I think that the 4H is a great group that teaches kids values and work ethic, and the kids who participate are learning valuable life lessons about responsiblity from a young age. Wes did it, he raised the pigs and the turkeys, and tells stories of wearing the stinky "pig shoes" to school. This may be the reason he wants to steer clear of the fair now, but I think it's part of what makes him such a tremendously responsible and hardworking man today. He has said our kids will NOT be walking pigs in the morning before school, and I support that. I have to smile, though, because it is TOO funny for me! When I think about all the things I had hoped my kids would stay away from as they enter adolescence, walking pigs is definately not at the top of my list :)

So, the Fair day was full of rides (all courtesy of Grandma Linda), yummy greasy food, and Bridget and I even treated ourselves to a stop at the beer booth. We were happy to see a bunch of Kylee's little buddies from gymnastics and new classmates, and we were all having so much fun, that what we had planned to make a morning-only event, turned into an all day excursion! The temperature was well above 100, and the nap-less kids got along famously the entire day. Needless to say, the ride home was very quite (I even got to nap a bit!) and we arrived shortly after the men finished their 5 hour ride- which, by the way, was also awesome! I'd say that Fair day was definately a very fair day for the both guys and the gals!







5 comments:

Sunny said...

Hey W.A.M.K.O.
It looks like you all had such a great time this past weekend! The boys with the ride to the coast and the girls taking the kids to the fair! It looked like the fair was a ton of fun. Kylee and Owen are so lucky to be able to do things like going to the fair so young! And lucky Mommies got to pound a few cold ones (nice!!)....

Here in Mountain House last weekend, we had our housewarming party and our 1st year wedding anniversary, and it was a blast! It turned out really well and everyone enjoyed themselves. Maybe you all can come down for the next bash. Sunday was a day for rest before the work week, but we were able to slip in a romantic dinner at The Texas Roadhouse. I think its something about peanut shells all over the floor that really sets the mood, also spilling your margarita all over the table does the trick too (clumsy me) if you like to live life on the wild (and frozen) side.

I hope you all are doing well and can't wait for the next event. Love you all.

Anne Marie said...

Sunny-
I LOVE IT! Texas Roadhouse and margaritas, you guys are following our romantic footsteps with the anniversary dinners :) Congrats on 1 year- and I'm glad your house warming went so well! Can't wait til we get to kick it at your new pad!
AM

Sunny said...

W.A.M.K.O,
I heard that you all might be in town for Dad's big b-day bash! If you guys want, you can come up to see the place then, and you all are more than welcome to stay. Just let us know....Can't wait to see you all! Love ya!!

Andrea said...

Wow! You guys are impressive. We went to the state fair and there was no way I would have stayed all day! It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Pete nice said...

Hey Anne Marie,
Haven't talked to you in a while, nice website. I can't wait to see you next Friday. Sunita set me up with a gmail account so we've been chatting all day for a few days. Maybe I can chat with you during the week when Im at work. I know my godson's turning the big duece in a few weeks so we will try to make it up if you guys are doing anything. I'll see you on friday,
Laaaaaaaaaaaaate!