Friday, January 4, 2008

Rockin' the Potty


So- on the list of things to do while Kylee was on break from school, potty training Owen was low on it. I knew he was ready, but I hadn't fully committed to dealing with the accidents and what-not, when, to tell the truth, my 4 year old still has many days were she is too lazy to get to the toilet. Well- one day last week, I set up two charts. A "no accident" chart for Kylee to get rid of her potty laziness, and a potty chart for Owen. They are, essentially, the same thing. They get stickers everytime they make it to the potty, 2 stickers for poops. When they reach a line on the chart, they get M&M's. Owen get's M&M's for all poops. We started by setting a timer, and every 30 min. it would go off, and Owen would go potty. But he hasn't even used that in 2 days, he just lets me know, and heads to the bathroom. Owen has been in his big boy undies all week. We've taken him to Redding (an hour drive) and he tells us when he has to go. It's a big step when you can trust them to hold it on a long ride. I was totally unprepared for him to embrace it the way he has, and so quickly! It's been great for Kylee, too, she's been so proud of Owen, and has been making sure to take the time to go herself, so she can have as many stickers as him. I've been changing diapers since Nov. 4, 2003- this is definitely an extra special New Year's treatfor mommy!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go OWEN! How exciting, I had the same concerns with Taylor coming up Buckhorn. He would pick spots on the trip where he liked to go potty, it's nice having boys because you can pull off the side of the road, use the car as a shield. I can remember having to stop three times on a single trip home. I can't wait until Taylor can go all night with out a diaper:) Happy New Year.

Andrea said...

Congrats Anne Marie! Way to go Owen! We did the same thing here with Drew. A no accidents chart. Worked like a charm. And Ava surprised me and went on the potty for the first time today. I don't think I'm quite ready to commit to that yet though...

Jessica said...

We've got one completely potty trained kid and one who completely refuses to even try...though he did accidentally pee in the toilet the other day. It surprised him as much as it surprised me!