Monday, January 28, 2008

Winter Days...

About this time every year, I start to get that cooped up, stir crazy feeling. Wes saw it coming last week, as we looked at the forecast for more snowy, rainy days... and Mommy was getting a bit more frustrated with the kids than usual. I don't know how many times I thought, "If I were back in the city, I could go a rec center, or some other neat indoor place where my kids could bounce off the walls and burn off some of their energy." I try to suppress these feelings, because I am SOOOO greatful for my husband, the house he built for us, his family and all they do for us... but still- I can't lie, I get a little worn down and fed up after some of these long winter days. So, my wonderful husband and I got out for an hour and a half on Friday night, while our new baby sitter got to know our kids. They were getting along great when we brought her over, so after a half hour, we left them alone.
IT WAS AWESOME.
Wes and I went to dinner, then to Longs, (I know, LONGS, but we really enjoyed the stress-free shopping experience!) It was a much needed break, and got me out of my funk. We decided this weekend to make some changes in our lifestyle. I did a BIG reorganization of my crafts area and got a bunch of new indoor project ideas for the kids. Then we went to Redding and bought ourselves an early Valentines gift- a Treadmill- and we are going to introduce Excercise into our lives. I figure, running used to be my "thing" and I definitely pushed it completely out of my life with mommy-hood. I'm going to re-incorporate it into my daily routine in hopes that I can keep my funky moods to a minimum. So far so good- I got up and had a great run this morning, as my kids slept safely in their beds. We got Kylee to school with no major meltdowns, and am looking forward to some fun projects this afternoon. I'm extra excited, because tonight is my mother-in-law's Birthday, and my sister-in-laws and I are taking Linda out for a night on the town, Weaverville, style! I know we are all looking forward to it, because there's nothing like mexican food and cocktails at the New Yorker to SERIOUSLY put an end to a winter funk!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally get where you are coming from. Small town winter blues.
I can't even tell you how many times I've prayed at night for someone to open a Gymboree or god help me a Chuck E Cheese up here...just anywhere we could go with four walls and a roof that allows kids to run around like monkeys. Walmart does not work for this! Too many things to dump off shelves.
We too are cooped up in the house during the winter. Yesterday it was torrential rains, today it's howling winds.
Whoever landscaped our property clearly had no children, as there is no "yard" area, but plenty of driveway!
Sigh.
Days like this I just push the couch out of the way, lay down a big quilt for a dance floor and have an hour long dance party with the kids...shake shake shake the sillies out.

Jessica said...

PS My crafting area (even though my hobby has become a small business) is an old computer desk crammed into our bedroom between my side of the bed and the wall with my sewing machine and supplies all over it. Next to that I have a plastic drawer cart on wheels filled with yarn. I also have tons of plastic boxes of fabric and yarn stacked up all over that desk and in my closet. It's quite sad! :)

Amy said...

Now I understand why you let loose on Monday night. Maybe we could do a girls thing every now and then? I had a lot of fun. I understand the winter blue's too, but I don't so much mind the snow because you can still go out and play, but the rain will put me into a depresive state. You know Taylor and I will come over and watch the kids if you need to get out, I don't even charge. I know it is hard to ask.

Meredith said...

I think it may just be a universal feeling in the winter because even though we have some indoor places to go, I feel like "snow again! back to the mall!" But the spring will be here before we know it - just a few more weeks of this, I hope!